31 January 2009

The God of Communication and Communion


Reading the Holy Father, Pope Benedict XVI’s Message for World Communications Day 2009, I was struck by the need for each and every one of us to reach out and speak our truth. This truth, of course, is THE truth of Jesus Christ. When I say "of course", many people will say this is my opinion. Some of my friends may even accuse me of being brain-washed by the Church, as though I am not capable of thinking for myself.

I am encouraged that the Pope urges "we must not allow ourselves to be deceived by those who see us merely as consumers in a market of undifferentiated possibilities, where choice itself becomes the good, novelty usurps beauty, and subjective experience displaces truth". Sometimes I am deceived into valuing subjective experience over truth. It is easy to become despondent in a world of noise and hard to see the truth.

In the final paragraph of the message, we read: "Human hearts are yearning for a world where love endures, where gifts are shared, where unity is built, where freedom finds meaning in truth, and where identity is found in respectful communion". Who cannot agree with this statement? It seems clear, therefore, that regardless of your faith, belief or opinion, if you agree with this statement then there must be something objective beyond yourself.

It is to this communion that the Pope encourages us, that we may find our identity. To boldly reach out and take our place. As he says, introduce the values on which we have built our lives. It's good to be a part of this world of blogging. Thank you for all you offer. Let us know the values upon which you have built your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails