6 February 2009

The Shack

Everyone seems to be reading The Shack by William Paul Young. I cannot recommend it myself as currently it's only made it as far as my coffee table. Perhaps once I've read it, I can make judgment and let you know. I wanted to blog about it, though, as it's spreading like wildfire around this place. The blurb says:

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his great sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgement he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever. In a world where religion seems to grow increasingly irrelevant THE SHACK wrestles with the timeless question, 'Where is God in a world so filled with unspeakable pain?' The answers Mack gets will astound you and perhaps transform you as much as it did him. You'll want everyone you know to read this book!

If you have read it, or indeed if you are currently reading it, perhaps you would like to leave a comment. If anyone wants to borrow a copy, then let me know; it'll be three or four weeks until I get around to reading my copy.

Another fascinating point is the author's name. On some versions of the book he is listed as Wm Paul Young and others as William P Young. Does anyone know why the difference? I recall Iain Banks saying when he writes in one particular genre he uses Iain Banks, and another genre it is Iain M. Banks. Helpful for different audiences, but on the same book. I don't understand. Do enlighten us.

Well, enjoy The Shack and let us know.

2 comments:

  1. I am currently reading The Shack. I am 3/4 way through. I struggled with it at the 1/2 way point. It seemed confusing. But...now it seems to have some awesome points in it. I believe it will help people that are trying to see God through their pain. It really makes you think about your perception of Who you think God is. It makes it very apparent to the reader...how our past, circumstances, etc... can sometimes make us have a completely wrong view of Who God is. But that is just a tid bit from the book. I am planning on studying this book. When I finish I will write some more. As for now...how can I fully "anaylze" something I have not fully read :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll look forward to hearing more, Berge.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails