6 May 2009

Candidacy

Congratulations to Ben,Craig and Padraig, our newly admitted Candidates to Holy Order. Don't they look good? Bishop David McGough was our principal celebrant, on Tuesday evening, and also in the picture, our illustrious leader, Mgr Crisp.

Update - it can vary between seminaries, but at Oscott a man is admitted to Candidacy toward the end of the fourth year. They have completed a long placement in a parish, achieved one degree in theology and have almost four years, at least, experience of formation under their belt. This is a good time, I think, to be sure that you are ready to seek admittance. By seeking admittance you are both saying, yes, I'm ready to move forward and also the Church says, yes, we receive you with joy. The Bishop says "may God who has begun the good work in you bring it to fulfillment". Amen, we say, Amen!

5 comments:

  1. May God bless and protect them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Shadowlands. At what stage does a seminarian become a Candidate?

    ReplyDelete
  3. At Oscott, a guy becomes a Candidate toward the end of fourth year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Paul, can't seem to find an Email address for you, so apologise for being off subject. I was interested to hear your comment on another Blog of you eating sandwiches in Salisbury Cathedral Close! Are you from Salisbury? I lived there for a long time too! Hope all is going well - with prayers for the new candidates and of course you in your continuing formation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dale, yes, I did live in Salisbury for a while and went to college there. Longer ago than I care to remember now. I suppose I was living in and around Salisbury from '82 until '88. You can get me on paulgeorgejohnson[at]googlemail[dot]com. Thanks for your kind thoughts. I will pass on, to our candidates, your good wishes, too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails