9 April 2009

Jesus in the Electric Chair


Cathcon are carrying a story about the above sculpture which is being displayed in a cathedral in France during Holy Week. They accuse the bishop, who defends the piece, as venturing "on the path of fideism", which I think a bit harsh. What do you think of it? I'm enclined to agree with the commentator to the site, not as an object of devotion, but most certainly a tool to make you stop and think. What will the crowd be shouting out tomorrow, I wonder?

1 comment:

  1. I think it's an excellent piece of art - it certainly makes you stop and think and therein lies its power.

    Had the Romans had the technology we have now, the cry might well have gone up "Electrify Him" (I mean this without a trace of humour). And I would have been equally as shocked and appalled as the thought of crucifixion makes me.

    The artwork makes one ask the question "just how far have we come in 2000 years?" The answer, sadly, seems to be "not very far."

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails